Sunday 22 December 2013

A lesson learnt..Then learnt again..

Emotions and thoughts are accepted to be two of the most difficult things to control and change.. this is accepted to the point where, culturally, we believe we cannot. We have a myriad of different expressions and phrases in our everyday vocabulary that suggest this change is impossible.
I can't help it... It's just the way I am... 

While, personally, I don't subscribe to this belief, my ego outsmarts me every single time. It is a Buddhist belief and aim that we control negative thoughts, harbour positive thoughts and create an indiscriminate compassion for living beings - including oneself. Convincing your ego to be compassionate to you is the most difficult task of all - it is almost a completely separate and selfish being. I like to call mine Sally.

Sometimes when I reflect upon my life, I realise I have a tendency to repeat life mistakes. Sally has the uncanny ability to convince me that 'this time it's different' and everytime I buy it. Until later on all goes wrong and on reflection I realise it was the same mistake in a new guise.

You'd think Sally was supposed to be your friend.. instead Sally is like a wild horse that needs breaking. So here is a declaration of intent: I want to tame Sally. Convince Sally she is okay on her own, so she won't convince me otherwise.Tell Sally that pursuing what we want needs to be the number one priority and everyone and everything needs to fit in with that agenda.

Make sure that you are accountable for every decision made, every journey undertaken, every thought expressed, every moment shared, every kiss, smile and tear.

Bring on 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment