Wednesday 18 November 2015

Friday 13th

Diverting slightly from the normal Australian themed travel blog/counselling session - I wanted to get a few things off my chest regarding the horrific events of Friday 13th November 2015.

The first time I applied to go to university, I applied to study journalism. I enjoy writing and enjoyed performing arts – my eventual aim was to become some sort of reviewer or writer around this area. In order to see if it suited me, I arranged myself a weeks work experience in the local newspaper in my home town – The Chronicle and Echo. There is one experience from this week in particular that stuck with me and still influences the way I look at the news today.

There was a fairly high profile rape case in my town and I was lucky enough to be at the paper in the week that the sentencing happened for the rapist. So I accompanied the reporter over to the court room and listened to the retelling of the details. The victim was a young Chinese girl who had been thrown out of a club for being too drunk. This was when the predator saw his chance and led her away, eventually bundling her into his car and driving away to a secluded area and… well I’m sure no further detail is really needed. The part that stuck out for me actually occurred after the sentencing just outside the courtroom. All the local journalists from radio, papers and television gathered outside the courtroom and resolved as a group to forgo covering certain details of the case as they may affect victim sympathy. They decided as a group the fact the girl was Chinese and spoke poor English would change public opinion on the case. Now, I’m not saying their logic is flawed – the more cynical readers may see that detail and think it was a miscommunication or that somehow this justified the mans actions.

However, whether their logic was right or not… I was amazed – there was no leader or boss telling these journalists to edit their coverage and yet they were conspiring as a group to emit certain details from a story on their own. Imagine how much worse this censorship could become if there were powerful people involved? Politicians, leading business men, governments, people with real influence… Imagine a paper with a certain political alliance and how they could censor their coverage? These guys hadn’t had any of that and had still chosen not to cover a major personal detail of the victim.

This has always lead me to be a little bit cynical in what you read and take notice of particular angles or language choices. Which leads me onto the topical event that has inspired the retelling of this memory.

Paris suffered a devastating terrorist attack earlier this week which has been met with what I see on my facebook page as 3 waves of responses.

Wave 1: #PrayforParis

This was the initial reaction of people, who don’t know the meaning of the word pray, responding and thinking they were making some sort of difference or providing comfort with their hashtags and profile picture filters. I find this just ridiculous. When a friend of mine snapchatted about ‘the power of the internet’, I couldn’t help but laugh. What power? What difference do you honestly think you’re making? ISIS aren’t sitting at home panicking because peoples profile pictures have changed and fake sentiments were trending on twitter. What happened in Paris was just horrific and I’m sure we all condone the actions of the 8 men who found themselves inspired to blow up and shoot innocent people. We all want to help, we all want to make a difference and create a world where these things don’t happen. But while we all become keyboard warriors in these occasions and stay silent while our governments exacerbate these situations and argue about the refugees running from these horrendous men, we do nothing to help. I simply don’t know what the average layperson COULD do to help. Taking to the streets is a show of solidarity. Helping the victims and refugees is a show of solidarity.
I hate to break it to you, but following the crowd and social pressure to change your profile picture to a flag changes nothing.

Wave 2: Why is everyone shitting themselves about Paris when other tragic events occurred?

This was the wave I fell into. Having seen Beirut on the news a couple days before I was disgusted at the huge amounts of airtime Paris was getting. You’ll find a trend in this sense: if most of the victims were Shia Muslims? You’ll hear minimal about it and the language will be considerably less sympathetic and more ‘this happens every day’.  If white people are effected? Be it directly in the sense of white victims or indirectly in the sense of this is a location we use for tourism – it’ll monopolise the media attention and attract huge amounts of social media backlash. It’s mind-blowing to me that this happens. Are those lives expected to be at risk because of their location? Is it justified because of their religion? Don’t they deserve the airtime?

Back in June there were several attacks on one day around the time of Ramadan – the two I remember were the beach shootings in Tunisia and a mosque suicide bomber in Kuwait. The number of people directly affected (death toll + number of people injured) by Tunisia was around 40. The number of people directly affected in Kuwait was much higher than 100+. When I bought the newspaper out of curiosity the next day, Tunisia gained itself a double page spread, while Kuwait had a quarter of that – half one page. Now don’t get me wrong, I know that when British people are involved, it’s going to get more coverage. But the level of bias coverage and sidelining of Kuwait shocked me. The language used was different. The length of time it was covered in the media was different.

So yes, I do understand why Paris will be highlighted more. But was the extent to which this happened justifiable? Also, I thought this bias may be because I was in the UK. Because we were closer in geographic terms and probably political terms too… but even in Australia this bias is simply unavoidable and in my opinion inexcusable.

Wave 3: The news does cover it, you whingers clearly just don’t read the news.

Now if you’re going to act like a 13 year old child and take everything literally and at face value then yes – those proclaiming the other incidents weren’t covered are incorrect. The other events were covered. I won’t bore you all to death and repeat myself – I think the above paragraph argues this point quite nicely to be fair. The emphasis and treatment of different stories was hands down euro-centric and extremely biased towards white victims outside of predominantly Muslim areas.
But I do wish to address all those people arguing that this is fine and we are to blame as the news covers what catches interest and people simply aren’t interested in the other stories. I think the majority of people would agree with my sentiment that the news and media of this nature are supposed to be above simply supplying the demand that is there, focusing on turning profits and should just be reporting the events that the world should know about. I agree this is not the reality in the slightest, but does that make it right? Because, what I like to refer to as the uneducated masses, know no better than worrying about white faces and not others, should that be what our news coverage entails? I like to think that the highly influential and well educated people that run the media should be using their power to educate people about the state our world is in and help us to make better decisions in the future based on the mistakes we are making and the real world events that are taking place. Not add to the ‘us and them’ feeling that most people already have in order to make money.

The coverage we get is what leads to the xenophobia that is exhibited so widely and groups like the English Defence League and Britain First… The media is what snowballs an already tragic situation and raises the tensions between cultural groups.

I’d like to end on a favourite Spiderman quote of mine: with great power comes great responsibility…


…a responsibility that unfortunately our media does not take seriously and aren’t held accountable for.

No comments:

Post a Comment