Friday 13 November 2015

The start of the adventure...

Another friendly face on the scene is one of my dearest course mates from university – Zakhiya. She arrived in Australia back in May and I don’t think she’d blame me for saying that her and Australia didn’t exactly get off to the best of starts. But that’s her story to tell, so I’ll just mention it in the relevance to my story… Ziggy (the nickname) left Australia after a few months to visit family in South Africa for a couple weeks to re-centre herself, figure what was going on for her and then come back to Australia for a fresh start. This is where I come into the picture. Me and Zig had been talking on the phone from time to time and basically making rough plans for her return down under. We decided that, hey, y’know what… we were going to enjoy Australia! I didn’t feel ready to settle down and work so soon after arriving in Australia. I wanted to see a bit of the country first and I wanted to encourage Zig to do the same – focus on enjoying Australia and not put the emphasis on working or finding a job so soon.

So here was the plan: Zig would arrive back into Australia, I would drive from Gold Coast to Sydney to pick her up and then we would start travelling together up the east coast headed toward Cairns by late-December/January time– settling only when and where we decided we had found somewhere we actually wanted to settle and work for a while. Sounds pretty sweet right? And the idea was if we didn’t end up working, we would just travel for less time with the money we had but completely prioritise enjoying that time! There is just no point being stuck somewhere miserably job hunting slowly whittling away what money you have, when you could enjoy your time with the budget you have and just leave if you had come to the end. That was the logic we were working on.

The drive down to Sydney from the Gold Coast directly was a monster 10+ hour drive. Let’s remember, I was picking Zig up in Sydney, so this stretch would be a solo journey. Now, back in the UK, I had happily travelled up to Lancaster/Kendal from Northampton alone in one go… a 3-4 hour drive (the time mainly dependant on your drive style). So I knew this kind of time was do-able and sensible and therefore chose to break up the journey into three parts.

Okay, so maybe I’m not being entirely accurate. The drive time was somewhat of a concern, but the main motivation was that I just wanted to get going! I was impatient… I’d been stuck in the same place for almost a month when I was supposed to be adventuring. But I waited it out, in compromise for the company and the adventure ahead. For the journey to Sydney, I gave myself a timescale of 5 days. I chose to break up the journey in Coffs Harbour and then Port Stephens - booking 2 nights in the first and another 3 in the second. YHAs were my hostel of choice due to their guaranteed parking and membership scheme. And then off I went…

However, I did not exactly do thorough research when looking at these places. Let’s start with Coffs Harbour. Coffs Harbour is a beautiful small town with a big roadside banana, many blueberry farms and good opportunities for whale watching. What wasn’t anticipated by myself was that the YHA was basically a working hostel for travellers working on blueberry farms in order to obtain their second year visa. This meant, come 6.30am, the place was basically desolate and then come 5pm, you should dream on if you were thinking of showering or cooking as everyone had just arrived back from their sweaty day at the farm. This would surely spell disaster for a solo traveller with no one around and nothing to do? Cue Lizzie – my company for two days who had simply decided that the second year wasn’t worth the three months misery picking blueberries. The farms loss was certainly my gain. I was lucky enough to arrive the night of a night food market, which gave us entertainment for one night and then the next day we went on a big banana hunt and a long steep walk to watch 5 whales! This was also the location I obtained topless back shot numero dos (see… we really were on a similar level). So, thanks to the company, Coffs was not a complete loss! The nutella and banana crepe was on point and the whales were incredible.

The next day, I partook the next step of the journey down to Port Stephens. The YHA at Port Stephens is not like your normal hostel – it’s beautiful. Set in the surrounds of rain forest, it is similar to the kinds of cabins I’ve stayed in previously in Thailand. Except that they’re not cute double private rooms… They’re dorm rooms. Something about this didn’t work for me. Even the kitchen was a ‘bush kitchen’ and there wasn’t a major social hub. The place wasn’t dead, but wasn’t the kind of buzzing I needed to meet people. The one girl I spoke to in my room had moved here to settle on the promise of work in the hostel – frankly, I thought to myself, I could think of nowhere more boring to settle. Had I thought Coffs previously was boring, Port Stephens was a whole new type of boring. To be fair to the place, there was probably more to do. But parking was difficult everywhere and nothing that was given to me as an idea at check in really resounded with me. The place is popular for dolphin/whale cruises – well I’d seen those for free in the previous location so why would I pay for an hour or so cruise for the same experience? And as for the location – there was simply nowhere to walk or get to without driving or taking a bus which was irritating.

The one thing I regret I didn’t partake in was the sand dunes – you can go on organised tours and sand boarding etc. If I had gone with friends or found some there, I probably would have occupied a day doing this. But as the only people I’d encountered seemed on a different level and completely content to sit at the hostel all day, I missed this. After staying one night, I thought to myself, fuck this. Why am I wasting time alone and in this shitty place when I can get one night refunded and check out two nights early. So I booked myself into Bondi YHA (a placed I’d dreamt of for years) and set of the very next day.

A trait that I love and hate about myself equally is that if I’m not happy somewhere or doing something – money becomes of little relevance and I’ll change it. It has gotten me in some messes previously – booking a flight out of a ski resort in France the day after my family left leaving me to no transfer or accommodation for a night being my most memorable fuck up. But it is this trait that really accelerated the next stage of this mad journey that took some unexpected changes in direction to be explored next time… I guess if I were to learn anything from this it would be:


Lesson number 3: do what feels right to you. If something feels wrong – change it. Everything happens for a reason in my opinion and you’ll end up where you’re supposed to be. Your happiness has no monetary value so if you’re in a financial position to sort yourself out – why waste a single day somewhere that you aren’t meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment